Tuesday 4 November 2008

at the crossroads...

When you reach a crossroad, you stop and wonder which way to go, which way will bring you to your destination. Left, right or forward, we take our separate paths to our destination, our goal and ambition no matter how insignificant or important it may be. Small step in one direction is another step away from a friend, but yet we take it. As we go towards the horizon, we lose sight of one another.

10 years from now, we meet up at a gathering. Some grow, some stay the same beautiful or handsome face they were in high school. The crossroads that separated us also brought us together. How ironic...

Our graduation came and went without many tears shed. Knowing that it was going to be the last day in school, I stopped and looked around, thinking of how much I would miss this somewhat weird yet warm and welcoming facade. I will miss the smiles stretching broadly over the faces of my friends. I will miss the plaintive atmosphere that hung around the people I talked to. I will miss the homework and pile of things to study before that ever so important school term exam. I will miss the teachers "advising" me to study hard because I still have time. All these things and more, I will miss ever so dearly.

But most importantly, I will miss you guys in 5S4. As Jidangao said, we didn't start off on the best of terms but did anything great start off well at the first meeting? No! Over time, we formed our alliances, our friendships. Though fragile, yet we stuck with it and nurtured it. We got closer to each other and managed to become the best bevy of classmates I could ever have. As the saying goes, a picture says a thousand words but I believe an act speaks louder. After our impending doom, SPM, let's keep in touch because I myself will feel guilty if no gathering or outing were done.

Let's put aside our differences and hatred, shake hands and become the best class in CHS ever. 10 years done the road, hopefully shorter, let's meet up, whether online or in person. Share career stories, some family stories. That is the kind of thing I am looking toward. Maybe that's why I didn't shed a tear, the fact that I will meet you guys again in the distant future. For my parting message, I chose a quotation from Mark Twain:

The holy passion of friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.

It has been a pleasure and with utmost gratefulness that I say goodbye to the best class a man could have. Safe journeys and to our next meeting.

Pope Baldie

1 comment:

Julian said...

don get so emotional